[rhn-users] Question for how to fix disk corruption

Yasushi Okubo yasushi at cabm.rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 15 13:46:40 UTC 2004

I had an ext3 hard disk in /dev/hdc, but now its partition looks strange
[it became empty, but actually not].   So, I ran e2fsck, but could not
find any bad blocks.    Could someone advise me how to restore parition
table  ?   I would like to recover 8273 regular files stored on this disk.
Should I run sfdisk -b ..... ?

Thanks,
yasushi

==== sfdisk check ====
[root at ....]# /sbin/sfdisk -l -V /dev/hdc

Disk /dev/hdc: 72680 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 516096 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/hdc2          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/hdc3          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/hdc4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
Warning: no primary partition is marked bootable (active)
This does not matter for LILO, but the DOS MBR will not boot this disk.
/dev/hdc: OK

=== e2fsck ====
[root at tarzan root]# e2fsck -v -c -c -C 0 -y /dev/hdc
e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
Checking for bad blocks (non-destructive read-write test): done

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/hdc: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

    8924 inodes used (0%)
    1135 non-contiguous inodes (12.7%)
         # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 7708/2716/0
 7969178 blocks used (87%)
       0 bad blocks
       0 large files

    8273 regular files
     642 directories
       0 character device files
       0 block device files
       0 fifos
       0 links
       0 symbolic links (0 fast symbolic links)
       0 sockets
--------
    8915 files