[rhn-users] RHN down; again

Eric Eisenhart eric.eisenhart at sonoma.edu
Thu Sep 2 19:05:06 UTC 2004

Chris Stankaitis wrote:
> Keep in mind I have no access to red hat servers beyond the other normal
> RHN users out there but with Update 3 being released this morning
> chances are everyone and their dog are all trying to patch their systems
> at once.... Chill out, lay off the Bawls... mellow out a bit and try
> back later, this happens every time RH releases an update and/or new ISO's.

And if it was really slow, that would be sufficient explanation...  If
this was the first and only time, that'd be another thing entirely...
Yes, it costs more money (mostly in hardware) to make services fault
tolerant and with some applications load-tolerance is tricky; but what
I'm saying is that Red Hat should be making those sorts of things happen
with RHN.  Having RHN be slow when there's a major new round of updates
would be much less annoying.

Also, given that most people already using the "rhnsd" (and possibly
also the little rhn applet) and all anybody can do now is hit a
placeholder webpage, I'm having trouble seeing how the load is any
higher than usual at the moment...  It's not like they announced update
3 so that there's a lot of users actively pounding their site trying to
get it...

I'd point you to the marketing phrases used on
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/ -- but now that seems to be down,
too.  They're pushing RHEL as an "Enterprise" product, customers are
buying it as an "Enterprise" product, and RHN is a key component of
RHEL.  RHN needs to be more reliable than this.  (and I simply don't
believe that new updates have anything to do with www.redhat.com being
down; I suspect it's related to the two afternoons/evenings of downtime
earlier this week)

Chilling out is, of course, always a good idea. However, this (over an
hour) downtime is putting a kink in at least two projects involving at
least two different members of our systems administration group.  (We're
RHN Proxy customers with a fair number of systems running RHEL and more
migrating to RHEL; not people who just happen to be keeping a desktop or
two patched)

I think Red Hat owes their customers at least some explanations about
what's going on.
--
Eric Eisenhart <eric.eisenhart at sonoma.edu>
Linux/Unix Systems Administrator