[rhn-users] Installing RH on a second Hard Disk

user Serge.Coche at free.fr
Wed Sep 22 21:31:37 UTC 2004

Le mer 22/09/2004 à 22:11, elimachi at datacom.com.bo a écrit :
> Dear list:
>

> I have a machine running Windows2000. I´ve just installed a second
> hard disk and I´d like to install RH Linux on it from a CD_ROM
> installation. I don´t like to partitioning my first hard disk because
> I have many value information here. I have some doubts about the boot
> loader and with the partitions. Where and how should I install the
> boot loader in order to choose the operative system (Windows or Linux)
> when I power-on the machine?
>
> How I should to chose the second HD to install the Linux file system
> without touch the first HD and erase its information?
>
> I´ll appreciate your suggestions.
>
> Thank you.
>

> EDWIN LIMACHI N.
> ENTEL - Operaciones y Mantenimiento
> Regional La Paz
> TSE - INFONET BOLIVIA
> Phone. 591-2-2123978
> Movil: 591-715-29967
> Fax: 591-2-2123975

1) You can (must) see the documentation (installation) on redhat.com ;

2) If you have only Win and RH, the operation is not very difficult :

  - partitioning : by the installation from the RH-CD, the system
   (anaconda) will to propose manual (Diskdruid) or automatical
    partitioning ; choose the automatical, and verify that the
    Win-partition not will deleted ; if you make an error, this is
    not a problem : the system will really create the new partition only
    at the end of input of all the installation-parameters, and before
    that you can at each moment go back and set other parameters.
    But warning...

  - boot loader : Grub or Lilo, for your first RH-installation you
    can choose "first sector of the boot-partition", e.g. normally hdb
   (second hard disk), but the other solution (master boot record : hda)
    works also.

. see also usr/share/doc (grub or lilo) for an eventual uninstallation
  of RH.
. if you have problems with the master boot record (MBR) and the
  win-boot, you can restore the old MBR typing "FDISK /MBR" under a
  recent DOS-version.
. see also the Howtos (redhat.com).
. see also on redhat.com search : dualboot.

                                        Good luck !

                                          Sergio.