[rhn-users] need advice on managing partition size (LVM / RAID hardware)

Frederic Medery dist-list at LEXUM.UMontreal.CA
Mon Sep 27 14:15:03 UTC 2004

Hello everybody,

I have a 1 TB RAID 5 hardware. I would like to use LVM to manage
partition size but  :
When I'll add extra storage (inside the raid 5), linux will see extra
free space but i won't be able to resize ma LVM partition ( i think). So
now, i'm thinking of NOT using LVM and create all my partition with the
RAID. So, when  I add extra storage, I just have to add this disk to the
partition that need it and then resize the File system size.

Is it a good solution ? I would prefer LVM because resizing would be
only but cannot see how to able it with Hardware RAID 5.

thanks !

--
Frederic Medery
System Administrator