[rhn-users] need advice on managing partition size (LVM / RAID hardware)

Jesse Becker jbecker at northwestern.edu
Mon Sep 27 18:15:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 02:09:35PM -0400, Frederic Medery wrote:
> Yes,
> it seems perfect but to create a new raid 5 disk array  I will need 3
> new disks instead of adding 1 to the first raid array.

Recall that you will have to add a disk of the same size to the array.  If
your array is made of, say, 200GB disks, and you add a new 250GB disk, 50GB
will be unused.  Instead of adding incrementally, you just have to add in
larger sets of disks, and/or resize things on the fly.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint: BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2