[rhn-users] ntp parameter to reduce update interval

Marty Merrick mmerrick at idleaire.com
Tue Apr 5 14:50:55 UTC 2005

I'm assuming your NTP server is operational, in that when you force a sync, it does set the client's time correctly. I used to have problems with this as well and thought I needed to sync more often, but never found a way to do it. I played with ntp.conf enough to make it work.

Here's an client ntp.conf (that works for me) for you to start with, it's pretty vanilla, so there's more you can do with it. Replace NTPSERVERIP with the obvious. Also make sure that same IP is in /etc/ntp/step-tickers. Add more NTP servers as you wish. I have this setup on many machines and it works 100%.

restrict default ignore
restrict NTPSERVERIP mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
server NTPSERVERIP
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift