[rhn-users] RPM Not Processing - Not Using CPU

Delta.Root Delta.Root at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 02:25:09 UTC 2005

I've been attempting to install packages that wew not part of the
default installation that Red Hat workstation did.  But I can't seem to
make much progress.

First, attempts to get Samba installed and configured to begin to make
"life migrating from Windows" a little easier resulted in messages about
-common not being around, and after thinking I added what I needed my
"database" doesn't think I changed anything - so I suspect I now have
created two, if that's possible, the second from double-clicking on the
files I downloaded from samba.org

When I go back to the CDROM, the initial check of package headers never
completes, and a check of the system shows it isn't doing anything (0%
CPU), as if there was some error that caused a silent death.

If I could just get the webserver installed...but that also says some
required package isn't on my system and it doesn't have any suggestion
on how to get it there.

I've read RPM docs on the web, and "rpm -V -a" doesn't even blink the
busy light on the disk.

Please point me in the right direction, as this is my first experience
with RPM, and it's been quite awhile since I've done SCCS and SysV
packaging.

Thanks!

Delta