[rhn-users] Kernel Upgrade (RAID Driver Query)?

Matthew Hardy matt at mimotek.com
Wed Feb 16 13:38:06 UTC 2005

Hi,

I recently installed a RedHat ES 3 system.  When I installed it, the
RedHat installer automatically detected the need for the megaraid2
driver.  I am now looking to update the kernel to the latest version
(using up2date) and wondered if I need to do anything special to ensure
that it boots with the RAID controller.

Apologies if the above is a silly question.  It is quite a few years
since I maintained a linux server and coming back to the update channel
system (which is very different from what I've used previously), I'm not
too sure about the core things like kernel upgrades.   Does up2date
actually replace the old kernel or does it add it and let me tell the
boot manager what to use?  My real concern is that the server is based
far from me, so I can't easily access it should I mess up the kernel
upgrade.

Thanks,

Matthew