[rhn-users] Re: rhnsd daemon update

Jesse Becker jbecker at northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 18 06:50:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:08:51AM +0800, Tsai Li Ming wrote:
> >This is the purpose of rhnsd.  However, I have found it more reliable to
> >simply run /usr/sbin/rhn_check from cron.
>
> Does rhnsd update the system automatically, similar to doing a up2date
> -u in a cron?

It should, yes.  I think that it may only apply security updates
automatically, and not bugfix updates (as distinguished in RHN).  However, I
am not completely sure abotu this.

> The default rhnsd runs for every 4 hours. Updates were not

You are correct.  The default delay is 240 minutes--4 hours.

> installed when I started rhnsd and left it running for a day and there's
> nothing in the /var/log/message except it is running rhn_check.
> Furthermore, when I ran rhn_check -v as root, there are no outputs.

So, are there actually any updates available for this system?  Running
'up2date --list' should show you all updates.

Okay, I just did a test.  I installed ntp-4.1.0b-2.AS21.4 package on one of my
AS hosts.  There is a newer version of this package that is a considered an
"update", but not a "critical" update.  When I run 'rhn_check', there are no
updates listed.  However, 'up2date --list' does show it.

Likewise, I force a version of a package known to have a 'critical update' (in
this case I installed an old version of kdelibs), up2date shows an update
available (as it should).  Now, very oddly, rhn_check doesn't do anything with
*this* at all, even though this is a "critical update."  Go figure.

You're probably better off just running up2date from cron anyway. :-/

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint: BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2