[rhn-users] Re: rhnsd daemon update

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Tue Jan 18 14:18:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Jesse Becker wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:08:51AM +0800, Tsai Li Ming wrote:
>>> This is the purpose of rhnsd.  However, I have found it more reliable to
>>> simply run /usr/sbin/rhn_check from cron.
>>
>> Does rhnsd update the system automatically, similar to doing a up2date
>> -u in a cron?
>
> It should, yes.  I think that it may only apply security updates
> automatically, and not bugfix updates (as distinguished in RHN).  However, I
> am not completely sure abotu this.

No, it should not.  rhnsd and rhn_check simply do whatever the satellite
tells them.

If the system in question has the "Auto Errata Update" Property set in the
RHN website (Systems -> your.host.tld -> Details -> Properties) then your
box will auto update, **because the Satellite will tell it to do so.**

[snip]

> You're probably better off just running up2date from cron anyway. :-/

Err... Considering that updates have a slight tendency to break things,
I'd be super careful about doing this on a system without very good and
reliable backups :)

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free