[rhn-users] hostname in 'localhost' line of /etc/hosts

Sullivan, Michael michael.sullivan at eds.com
Thu Jul 21 17:25:34 UTC 2005

Hello All;

My 2cnt's.......looking at the /etc/init.d script "network", it sources the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions.......looking at the sourced file the hostname is validated and set......if the test condition fails "localhost.localdomain" is written off.......looking for the dhcp functions, /etc/sysconfig/dhcp* has several "boot-up" parameters available....are any of those set?.........and if Shadd's issue is with Kudzu, perhaps a driver issue is under-lining and the system keeps finding the network-devices, activating it, turning on dhcp by default and setting the entry's.......Are you're boxes being rebooted regularly forcing this possible condition?......I'm also assuming you've scoured over the /var/log directory looking for any indication of changes........looking for the most recent changed files or hardware status.

--Mike.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email from EDS is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the email.