[rhn-users] hostname in 'localhost' line of /etc/hosts

"Dr. Günter Schmidt" guenter.schmidt at bruker.de
Fri Jul 22 07:33:24 UTC 2005

Hallo all,

I have just finished another RHEL3-U4 installation.
This time i disabled during installation the button
   'Get hostname with DHCP'
and checked
    'Enter hostname manually'
and entered the new hostname.
(That is our network configuration: each client may sent a new hostname
to the DHCP server, and will be accepted and added to DNS service).

After the first time boot I did a recursive grep in /etc for the new
hostname
and found the following places:

    [root at buxus root]# grep -r buxus /etc/ > hostname.log
    grep: /etc/alternatives/print-cancelman: No such file or directory
    [root at buxus root]# cat hostname.log
    /etc/sysconfig/network:HOSTNAME=buxus
    /etc/hosts:127.0.0.1            buxus localhost.localdomain localhost

Then I started the network configuration tool, enabled the DCHP_HOSTNAME
saved all and devativate/avtivate the eth0 device:

    [root at buxus root]# neat
    [root at buxus root]# grep -r buxus /etc/ > hostname-after-neat.log
    grep: /etc/alternatives/print-cancelman: No such file or directory
    [root at buxus root]# cat hostname-after-neat.log
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:DHCP_HOSTNAME=buxus
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0:DHCP_HOSTNAME=buxus

/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0:DHCP_HOSTNAME=buxus
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts:127.0.0.1
buxus   localhost.localdomain   localhost
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network:HOSTNAME=buxus
    /etc/sysconfig/network:HOSTNAME=buxus
    /etc/hosts:127.0.0.1    buxus   localhost.localdomain   localhost
    /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf:send host-name "buxus";  # temporary RHL
ifup addition

The suspicious line in /etc/hosts is still there, and with the default
setup of
/etc/nsswitch.conf with the line
    hosts:      files dns
this file has always priority before the name server.

Best Regards
 Günter

Dr. Günter Schmidt   |   E-Mail: gsc at bruker.de
NMR Software         |   Tel: +49 721 5161 443
Bruker BioSpin GmbH  |   Fax: +49 721 5161 480