Fwd: [rhn-users] RHN Ent.4 Kernel Source

"Dr. Günter Schmidt" guenter.schmidt at bruker.de
Wed Jun 1 07:19:15 UTC 2005

Kvetch wrote:

>No, isn't that just the source for building another binary rpm, not
>the actual source of the kernel? I am looking for the actual source
>of the kernel like
>https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/packages/details.pxt?pid=313934
>https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/packages/name_overview.pxt?package_name=kernel-source&channel_arch_ia32=&channel_arch_ia64=&channel_arch_x86_64=&search_subscribed_channels=1

The RELEASE-NOTES-en for RHEL-4 says:
     o In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate
       package for the kernel source code when that source code already
       exists in the kernel's .src.rpm file, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 no
       longer includes the kernel-source package. Users that require access
       to the kernel sources can find them in the kernel .src.rpm file. To
       create an exploded source tree from this file, perform the following
       steps (note that <version> refers to the version specification for
       your currently-running kernel):

         1. Obtain the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file from one of the
            following sources:

               o The SRPMS directory on the appropriate "SRPMS" CD iso image

               o The FTP site where you got the kernel package

               o By running the following command:

                 up2date --get-source kernel

         2. Install kernel-<version>.src.rpm (given the default RPM
            configuration, the files this package contains will be
written to
            /usr/src/redhat/)

         3. Change directory to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/, and issue the
            following command:

            rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel.spec

            (Where <arch> is the desired target architecture.)

            On a default RPM configuration, the kernel tree will be located
            in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/.

         4. In resulting tree, the configurations for the specific kernels
            shipped in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 are in the /configs/
            directory. For example, the i686 SMP configuration file is named
            /configs/kernel-<version>-i686-smp.config. Issue the following
            command to place the desired configuration file in the proper
            place for building:

            cp <desired-file> ./.config

         5. Issue the following command:

            make oldconfig

Best Regards
 Günter

Dr. Günter Schmidt   |   E-Mail: gsc at bruker.de
NMR Software         |   Tel: +49 721 5161 443
Bruker BioSpin GmbH  |   Fax: +49 721 5161 480