[rhn-users] icon on toolbar for all users

Raj Kumar rajkum2002 at rediffmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:49:45 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I've found a way to create custom icons on toolbars such that it appears for all new users!!!

Following are the steps I used to create it:

1. Create a directory myapp_launcher in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/objects

2. cd myapp_launcher

3. Copy %gconf.xml file from web_browser_launcher directory
cp ../web_browser_launcher/%gconf.xml .

4. Edit the %gconf.xml in myapp_launcher directory and replace the launcher location to: file:///usr/share/applications/myapp.desktop

5. Now, create myapp.desktop in /usr/share/applications

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec/path/to/command
TryExec=
Icon=/path/img.jpg
X-GNOME-DocPath=
Terminal=false
Name=myapp
GenericName=myapp
Comment=

6. Add the following line below the web_browser_launcher line in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/general/%gconf.xml

<li type="string"><stringvalue>myapp_launcher</stringvalue></li>

That's all. The new users will have the custom icon in their toolbar!! This was very much essential for us since we create temporary accounts for our end users every week which are automatically deleted after two weeks.

This works on gnome 2.2-- should work for 2.8 too...
If anyone needs help, just drop me a line!!

Thanks,
Raj