[rhn-users] local repository because of slow up2date?

Trice, Jim jtrice at haastcm.com
Thu Jun 9 16:24:10 UTC 2005

Paul,
    I use yum and set up a repository on an apache server. I compiled yum
from sources. The only trick was using the -DESTDIR=/ switch when running
configure. Off the top of my head I can't remember where I got createrepo but
it's in the yum docs somewhere.
    Once it's all set up you just have to set one of your machines to just
download and not install when running up2date then copy the rpm's out of the
spool directory to your repo update directory and run createrepo. Run yum
update on each of the client machines and then "up2date -p" or just wait a
few hours for rhn to update.
     It's not fully automated but I like to know what's being updated when
anyway and it doesn't take much effort.
     Jim