[rhn-users] local repository because of slow up2date?

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Mon Jun 13 20:31:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

Trice, Jim wrote:

>    I use yum and set up a repository on an apache server. I compiled yum
>from sources. The only trick was using the -DESTDIR=/ switch when running
>configure. Off the top of my head I can't remember where I got createrepo but
>it's in the yum docs somewhere.

I tried this (creating my own yum repo was the most common advise I got
;-)), and it seems to work fine. Using this really speeds things up
again :-)

I tried both updating with yum, but also with up2date itself (which
requires yum-arch instead of createrepo on the mirror server I found
out) using a yum section in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.

Problem is though, that if I keep my "up2date default"-statement it will
ignore the packages on my local repository, and just contact the RHN for
downloading the rpms. If I remove this, the files are fetched from my
local server, but I cannot issue up2date -p then.

Is there a way to have both? Or is it best just to have yum doing the
updates and up2date doing the up2date -p ?

>    Once it's all set up you just have to set one of your machines to just
>download and not install when running up2date then copy the rpm's out of the
>spool directory to your repo update directory and run createrepo. Run yum
>update on each of the client machines and then "up2date -p" or just wait a
>few hours for rhn to update.

Is yum as good as up2date in updating?

Thanks for the replies/ideas,

Regards,