[rhn-users] Backup problem using DLT Tape Drive in LINUX

Ramesh R rameshr at cholayil.com
Mon Jun 20 06:58:46 UTC 2005

Hi,
   Iam from India and we have installed Linux ES Verion 3 on DELL SERVER
POWEREDGE 2850 series which has following configuration: Dual Processor
with 4 GB RAM ad 4 * 72 GB SCSI Hard disk Drives With RAID 10
technology. We have implemented Oracle Applications ERP . We have a
peculiar problem for backing up  our data. We have connected DLT Tape
Drive VS80 40/80GB ( Tandberg)  capacity with SCSI Adaptec Card. When we
initiate backup command as follows:
    dump of /dev/st0 /data/erpp where /dev/st0 denotes the device for
tape drive and /data/erpp is the partition in which oracle apps has been
installed. The timing for backing up 63GB data and files , it takes 18
hours for completion. We had replaced the SCSI adaptec card , Tape Drive
and cable but still it gives same timing.
The same process we had tried from a desktop by applying latest SCSI
drivers  and initiated the backup , it took 12 minutes for 2 GB of data.
We had applied latest driver for Linux but still it shows the same
timing. I need to know any other parameters needs to be configured under
Linux. I need help more urgently as we are going online by next week.

Regards
Rames.R