[rhn-users] Creating a standard patch set

GREG WOJTAK GWOJTAK at salliemae.com
Tue Mar 1 15:21:39 UTC 2005

We have recently started bringing Linux into our company and one of the
things I have been unable to figure out is patching.  Here's how we do
our patches:  Twice a year we go through and apply a standard patch set
to all of our Unix systems.  For Solaris, we pick a date, download the
x_Recommended.zip patch bundle and use that across all of our servers.
For HP-UX, we pick the latest Quarterly updates.  My question is, how
can I do this with Red Hat?  We typically will patch development
servers, let it "burn in" for a week, then repeat for QA and Prod.  How
can I ensure that the Prod server gets the same patches as the Dev box
where there can and will be as many as 3-4 weeks between patches being
applied to each environment?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Wojtak
Unix Systems Administrator