[rhn-users] Creating a standard patch set

Per Lindahl per.lindahl at bea.com
Tue Mar 1 18:01:25 UTC 2005

Hi Greg,

Redhat supplies quarterly updates for their Enterprise versions 2.1 - 4
So for RHEL3 there's now update 4 available and I imagen that U5 is on
it's way. These updates can be installed through complete reinstall or
just upgrades. Simply download the ISO's and the it's your choice of how
you want to do it. CD/NFS/HTTP/FTP reinstall/upgrade or rpm -Fvh * :)

Per

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 10:21 -0500, GREG WOJTAK wrote:
> We have recently started bringing Linux into our company and one of the
> things I have been unable to figure out is patching.  Here's how we do
> our patches:  Twice a year we go through and apply a standard patch set
> to all of our Unix systems.  For Solaris, we pick a date, download the
> x_Recommended.zip patch bundle and use that across all of our servers.
> For HP-UX, we pick the latest Quarterly updates.  My question is, how
> can I do this with Red Hat?  We typically will patch development
> servers, let it "burn in" for a week, then repeat for QA and Prod.  How
> can I ensure that the Prod server gets the same patches as the Dev box
> where there can and will be as many as 3-4 weeks between patches being
> applied to each environment?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Greg Wojtak
> Unix Systems Administrator