[rhn-users] Re: invalid registration

Jon LaBadie jlabadie at acm.org
Wed Mar 9 22:56:36 UTC 2005

Richard Lefebvre wrote:
> Did you download the right CDs. The first time I logged in to
> https://rhn.redhat.com The first time I did, it only showed me the x86
> binaries. So it got a bit confusing getting the right binaries.
>
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
>> I have a subscription for the x86_64 version of RHEL 3 (WS)
>>
>> Whenever I try to register my system it complains I'm trying
>> to register an ia32 system -- which I'm not, it is a EM64T Xeon.
>>
>> Because it claims it is invalid, the system gets registered,
>> but I can not assign a channel for updates.
>>
>> Where is it picking up the erroneous info?
>> How do I get it registered correctly and a channel assigned?

System was purchased from Dell, preloaded.
Everything I can tell shows it is running the x86_64 version

   # uname -a
   Linux hydrogen 2.4.21-15.EL #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:09:47 EDT 2004
\ 		  	x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And when I run apps that suck up memory, they grow to 10GB for a
single process (8GB main memory + swap).

Royal run-around today.  RH points fingers at Dell, Dell points back.
Total 4 hrs on phone to get nowhere.