[rhn-users] Re: RHEL AS 4 (x86) ISO's - Disc 2 and 3 - MD5SUM Errors

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Mar 15 23:17:44 UTC 2005

On 15Mar2005 15:20, John.B.Kelly <John.B.Kelly at ul.ie> wrote:
| With respect to Enterprise Linux 4 Advanced Server (AS), I am consistently
| getting md5sum errors when I download the ISO's for disc's 2 and 3 from RHN.
[...]
| Disc's 1 and 4 are fine. CD's burned with these
| ISO's (i.e. disc's 2 and 3) fail the media test during installation and do
| not allow a successful installation. Has anybody else seen this problem?

Sort of. I have ISOs that match the md5sum values from redhat, but all 4
of them fail the media test. I've checked that the CDs themselves match
the ISOs by reading them back and comparing so I'm presuming that the
checksums embedded in the media check code are busted.

I eventually proceeded on the basis that RPMs contain their own checksums
and would show problems if they really existed, but not until I'd wasted
a lot of time burning other CDROMs and comparing media and checksums
and downloads.

Remark to RedHat: it is VERY VERY annoying that the media check report
is so vague. It doesn't say "bad checksum" or "I/O error" or anything
to suggest what might be the issue. Close to useless to the installer!

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Is it true, Sen. Bedfellow, that your wife rides with bikers?   - Milo Bloom