[rhn-users] cannot change NIS user password as root

Clinton Fernandes cfernand at utm.utoronto.ca
Thu May 5 22:21:58 UTC 2005

I may have misunderstood your problem, so apologies if my suggestion doesn't help.

As I see it, you have the NIS server BOO and a client machine FOO. Each machine
has it's own root user (presumably with different passwords).

If, on the client (FOO), you try to change a password over NIS as root, which
root are you on the BOO? You are not BOO's root; thus, problems.

My suggestion: don't use NIS client root to change anything concerning NIS on
the server.

--
          my tail is dun.