[rhn-users] FW: no text in log on screen after running up2date with RHEL AS 3

Clinton Fernandes cfernand at utm.utoronto.ca
Mon May 16 20:46:51 UTC 2005

Correct me if I'm wrong: The login screen is completely black, but after
entering userid/passwd the display is then seen?

Here's a shot in the dark (no pun intended): What run-level are you starting in?
If you have are not using a graphical login, the screen may not be displaying
properly. ie. perhaps the image is misaligned or something. Then, when X takes
over the image aligns properly. I have this exact affect (though not as
pronounced) on my computer.

Try and to an "auto-adjust" with your monitor, if it supports it.

Are you updating any packages that may affect display (eg. X)? Why not try
updating everything else but X (and kernel) packages. Or whatever iteration
thereof that you feel comfortable with.

--
          my tail is dun.