[rhn-users] Ulimit and cron scheduler - too many open files error

Serge Bianda serge.bianda at appiancorp.com
Tue May 24 14:27:57 UTC 2005

We are trying to run a script using the cron scheduler. For the script
to run, we had to increase the number of open file descriptors using
"ulimit -n" to 63000 from 1024. We increased the file descriptor value
in /etc/security/limits.conf. But crontab scheduler does not read the
new increased value for the file descriptors and always errors out
throwing - "too many open files" error. We tried to increase the value
in the script that is scheduled using the cron job, but it looks like
cron does not pick the new value even if it is set in the script. Are
you aware of any global setting for the cron scheduler which will force
it to have more open file descriptors? Note that when the script is ran
from the command line apart from the cron scheduler it works fine and
does not throw out errors stating "too many open files".