[rhn-users] Problem detecting external storage with sym53c8xx in RHEL 4

Derrence Chan derrence.chan at ecs.com.sg
Wed May 25 03:06:01 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I am currently facing a problem with my SYMBIOS SCSI controller card
(sym53c8xx) in RHEL 4 ES (2.6.9-5.ELsmp). I am using this card to
connect to my external storage array. During system startup, the Card
BIOS has no problem detecting the card and the external storage devices.
However when I boot into the OS, and do a fdisk -l, my external storage
devices cannot be detected.

I tried the following to verifying that sym53c8xx is properly loaded:

[root at rh114 2.6.9-5.ELsmp-i686]# modprobe sym53c8xx
[root at rh114 2.6.9-5.ELsmp-i686]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nbd                      26593  0
raid1                    19905  0
autofs4                23237  0
i2c_dev                11329  0
i2c_core               22081  1 i2c_dev
sunrpc                157093  1
dm_mod                 54741  0
button                  6481  0
battery                 8901  0
ac                      4805  0
md5                     4033  1
ipv6                  232705  18
uhci_hcd               31065  0
hw_random               5845  0
e100                   39493  0
mii                     4673  1 e100
e1000                  79693  0
floppy                 58481  0
sg                     33377  0
ext3                  116809  4
jbd                    71257  1 ext3
aic79xx               190589  5
sym53c8xx              69857  0
scsi_transport_spi     13761  1 sym53c8xx
sd_mod                 17217  6
scsi_mod              121421  5
sg,aic79xx,sym53c8xx,scsi_transport_spi,sd_mod

It seems that the driver module is loaded by the OS, but why am I not
seeing my external disks? Can someone advise on this? Thanks.

Disclaimer Clause :
The information in this e-mail (including attachments) is confidential and is
only intended for use by the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient
or addressee, please notify us immediately. Any unauthorised disclosure, use
or dissemination either in whole or in part is prohibited. Opinions,
conclusions and other information contained in this message are personal opinions
of the sender and do not necessarily represent the views of ECS.