[rhn-users] Update software through up2date - Problems

Clinton Fernandes cfernand at utm.utoronto.ca
Tue May 31 16:54:26 UTC 2005

There may be an option in up2date to automatically grab dependancies. I can't
say anything more than that though.

A thought just came to mind. When a file is in a dependancy, rpm will usually
suggest that package as a solution. For example:

------------------------------
[root at itchy ~]# rpm -ivh ~clint/tmp/postgresql-odbc-7.3-8.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libodbcinst.so.1 is needed by postgresql-odbc-7.3-8.i386
        postgresql-libs >= 7.3 is needed by postgresql-odbc-7.3-8.i386
    Suggested resolutions:
        postgresql-libs-7.4.6-1.RHEL4.2.i386.rpm
        unixODBC-2.2.9-1.i386.rpm
[root at itchy ~]#

If the error you are receiving is not similar to this, then I have two suggestions:

1) the file(s) you needed are not provided by redhat (for some reason). Try
getting them from whoever makes them.

2) you do have the needed file(s) but they are corrupt/have a broken
link/something else. Try re-installing the package.

Good luck!

--
          my tail is dun.