[rhn-users] up2date with non-RHN sources

"Dr. Günter Schmidt" guenter.schmidt at bruker.de
Mon Nov 7 16:25:13 UTC 2005

Clifford Perry wrote:

> Paul Murtaugh wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this list, but
>> I'm at my wit's end :}
>>
>> I'm running RHEL AS 4 and have been trying for some time
>> to install mplayer, which is not part of the RH distribution.
>> The package is available at dag's repository, and I've tried
>> using yum and up2date to grab it, without success. I should
>> say that up2date is working fine when connecting to the RHN.
>>
>> Here's one of my recent attempts. I can access the URL with
>> my browser, but:
>>
>> Does anyone know what's going on here, or how I can further
>> troubleshoot it?
>>
>> -Paul
>>

> up2date is not able to make a connection to apt.sw.be - do you maybe
> need to reconfigure up2date for a HTTP proxy to establish the connection?
>
> Cliff.

You may install yum from
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4.2/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/yum-2.4.0-1.centos4.noarch.rpm
and configure it to use the desired repository (and disable the defaults
which are updated
with 'up2date' from RHN.

Best Regards
Günter

Dr. Günter Schmidt   |   E-Mail: gsc at bruker.de
NMR Software         |   Tel: +49 721 5161 443
Bruker BioSpin GmbH  |   Fax: +49 721 5161 480