[rhn-users] applet appears to have died unexpectedly

Paul Murtaugh murtaugh at stat.oregonstate.edu
Thu Oct 6 22:45:06 UTC 2005

I installed RHL Enterprise 4 (AS) on my laptop and have
been encountering the following problem.  After booting
the laptop, logging in, and seeing the graphical desktop,
three windows pop up saying

The "Show Desktop" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.
Do you want to reload this applet?

The "Window List" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.

The "Workspace Switcher" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.

I must click 'yes' on all three windows before proceeding.
There doesn't seem to be anything in /var/log/messages, or
/var/log/dmseg, or /var/log/boot.log that indicates what the
problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks
-Paul