[rhn-users] applet appears to have died unexpectedly

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Fri Oct 7 13:02:12 UTC 2005

I had exactly these symptoms, and other problems with my RHEL4 (actually CentOS 4.1).
I deleted the panel that applications minimize to, and instead of minimizing onto the other panel, they terminated.
These problems and others went away after the command

switchdesk kde

in short I had these problems under gnome, and none of them under kde...

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> murtaugh at stat.oregonstate.edu 10/06/05 06:45PM >>>

I installed RHL Enterprise 4 (AS) on my laptop and have
been encountering the following problem.  After booting
the laptop, logging in, and seeing the graphical desktop,
three windows pop up saying

The "Show Desktop" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.
Do you want to reload this applet?

The "Window List" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.

The "Workspace Switcher" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.

I must click 'yes' on all three windows before proceeding.
There doesn't seem to be anything in /var/log/messages, or
/var/log/dmseg, or /var/log/boot.log that indicates what the
problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks
-Paul