[rhn-users] Interrupted up2date when updating kernel

Alfred Hovdestad alfred.hovdestad at usask.ca
Tue Sep 6 16:42:30 UTC 2005

I'm not sure about the System.map.  It might be required before you
boot.   You can find out what gets done in the kernel install package
with the rpm -q --scripts command (I'm running 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL):

$ rpm -q --scripts kernel-2.4.21-32.0.1.EL
preinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/sbin/modprobe loop 2> /dev/null > /dev/null  || :
postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
cd /boot
[ -x /usr/sbin/module_upgrade ] && /usr/sbin/module_upgrade
[ -x /sbin/mkkerneldoth ] && /sbin/mkkerneldoth
[ -x /sbin/new-kernel-pkg ] && /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod
--install 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL
exit 0
preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/sbin/modprobe loop 2> /dev/null > /dev/null  || :
[ -x /sbin/new-kernel-pkg ] && /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --rminitrd
--rmmoddep --remove 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL
exit 0

If the new kernel doesn't boot, you can either boot up the old kernel,
remove the new kernel, and re-isntall it or you can try running the
postinstall script by hand.  If it were me, I would try to uninstall the
new kernel and re-install it (but maybe I am just paranoid).

    Alfred