[rhn-users] OS Updates

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Fri Apr 21 14:04:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 07:55 -0400, Arif Basha wrote:
> I bought the RHEL 4.0 with a one-year subscription which has expired few
> months ago.  Is it possible to download the updates even after expiring the
> subscription?
>
> Or do I have to purchase the subscription for these OS software updates?  If
> so, this turns out to be more expensive than Windows?

Dear Arif,

The RHEL subscription comes with updates and support. Windows does not.
If you do not need support, consider one of the rebuilds, which are
built from RHEL source code -
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/RedHat/rhel-forks.html

In many cases, you can update an unsupported RHEL system wtih updates
from one of the rebuild repositories. Most have set up yum for their own
updates. Just be sure to update /etc/redhat-release to that associated
with the rebuild. When I've experimented with updates from a rebuild,
the only issue I've had is with kernel recompiles; the tools used by Red
Hat and the rebuild distros are subtly different.

Thanks,
Mike