[rhn-users] Gigabit transfer speeds

Tim Schoenfelder tim at timschoenfelder.com
Tue Aug 22 15:10:02 UTC 2006

The testing also involved linux/windows communications...

>From the webpage:
"Note: All cards were tested at 1500, 3000, 4000, and 6000 values for the
TCP MTU size. The drivers for the cards were not modified. Cards based upon
the dp83820 chipset were limited to 6000MTU due to driver defaults. All
other cards were tested through 9000MTU."

NOTE: http://www.cs.uni.edu/~gray/gig-over-copper/gig-over-copper.htmldescribes
that the benchmarks were gathered using Netpipe
2.4:
http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/netpipe

>From the above netpipe webpage ... "Gigabit Ethernet delivers around 900
Mbps with latencies of 25-62 microseconds from 64-bit 66 MHz PCI buses."

 .. I haven't substantiated this but you may wish to consider the 100K+
packet size as the TcpWindowSize as described in

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053/en-us

of the computer. The receive window specifies the number of bytes a sender
can transmit without receiving an acknowledgment. Generally, larger receive
windows improve performance over high (delay * bandwidth) networks. For
highest efficiency, the receive window must be an even multiple of the TCP
Maximum Segment Size (MSS)."

The complete benchmark write-up is located at:

http://www.cns.uni.edu/~gray/gig-over-copper/hsln-lcn.ps<http://www.cns.uni.edu/%7Egray/gig-over-copper/hsln-lcn.ps>

These were the OS environments:( Note: Even the win2k tests were over
600mbs....)

"Each system was configured to boot
into Debian 3.0 GNU/Linux and Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional. Versions 2.4.7, 2.4.19-pre9-ac2, and 2.5.7 of
the Linux kernel were used for testing on the GNU/Linux
operating system. Service pack 2 was applied to the Win-
dows 2000 installation."

Tim

On 8/21/06, Dan Hunter <dmhunter at charter.net> wrote:

>  I have already set the packet size as large as the windows driver allow -
> MTU = 7 Kb
>
> But coping from a very high speed disk, or RAM drive is certainly a good
> question.
> Is the limitation the ethernet, PCI bus, hard driver controller, or the
> hard drive itself????
>
> Hmmm, me thinks an experiment or two is in the wind!

Tim Schoenfelder
http://timschoenfelder.com