[rhn-users] Unkown HostUpdating in NIS error

Pete Masse pete at chemistry.montana.edu
Thu Feb 9 03:26:45 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've set up NIS plenty of time with great success.  But this time I'm using the 64 Bit version of RHAS 4.  After setting the host name in /etc/sysconfig/network, setting up securenets, starting ypserv, yppasswordd, ypxfrd, and ypbind.  Then when I run ypinit -m or just make in the /var/yp/ directory, this is what I get.

failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Unknown hostUpdating passwd.byuid...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Unknown hostUpdating group.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Unknown hostUpdating group.bygid...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Unknown hostUpdating hosts.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Unknown hostUpdating hosts.byaddr...

I'm using ypserv-2.13-5.  I am out of Ideas.  RPC makes me think something isn't running that should be but I can't think of anything.  Googling turning up somethings but no real solutions.

Has anyone seen this before and figured it out?

Pete