[rhn-users] Frequent checks for updated packages via RHN

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 14:13:44 UTC 2006

I would suggest to look at using the API to do the same task. API uses
the username/password to login and allow you to query Errata and
packages associated with channels. Currently any time up2date runs and
performs any type of action against RHN, it has to check-in. Since there
are counters that monitor the rate of check-in for each system, (as you
found out) frequent check-ins for a system cause it to be flagged as an
abuse of service. You can avoid this by using the API for
username/password login and queries.

https://rhn.redhat.com/rpc/api/   shows the current API's available.
There is documentation and example script usage within the RHN Reference
Guide as well.

Cliff.