[rhn-users] RHEL freeze: diskdump: -

Lazarev, Roman Roman.Lazarev at FMR.COM
Mon Jan 2 18:48:12 UTC 2006

You might have posted what your controller is, but I don't remember what it is. Check the diskdump (DD) documentation, it says what disk (technically LUN) controllers are supported. Unfortunately diskdump is hardware specific - nature of the beast. And if DD is not supported, you will have to go with netdump (which is also driver specific, but fortunately it is widely supported).

Roman Lazarev
Fidelity Investment Management Technology
245 Summer Street V2E
Boston, MA 02210
(617) 563-1173

-----Original Message-----
From: Honti Balázs [mailto:balazs at fmnet.hu]
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 1:42 PM
To: Red Hat Network Users List
Subject: Re: [rhn-users] RHEL freeze: diskdump: -

Hello! I tried to use a spare 12G partition, after formatting with
"diskdumpfmt -fpv /dev/hdb3" when it already seems to be OK:
[root at webplm /]# diskdumpfmt -cv /dev/hdb3
/dev/hdb3
 status     : formatted
 block size : 3000138
 version    : 1-1.1.9
 sample rate: 8
 block order: 2
 format size: 261787
 note       : parameters satisfied

But after this I just got:
[root at webplm /]# diskdumpctl /dev/hdb3
diskdumpctl: /dev/hdb3 is not supported!

What/how should I do? :-) It is a plain IDE partition...

Thanks,
Honti,Balázs