[rhn-users] How to access Samba with an AD client

Hugo Simon hugo.simon at gmx.de
Wed Jun 7 16:41:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

I want read access to a Samba exported filesystem on my Redhat server from a
Windows 2003 server which is member of an Active Directory. Problem is that
the user on the Windows system also is an Active Directory user, but my
Redhat system isn't member of the AD.

The user is the user which is running our windows based backup system and it
seems impossible to say that system to connect to the filesystem using
another userid.

So is there a possibility to access the samba share with that AD userid
without joining the Linux system to the AD? Maybe by defining a same named
user on the Linux box. First attempts in that direction failed, but maybe
someone knows a trick?

As an alternative the other way is also possible: connect from the Linux box
to the AD server's share, but I also didn't get access there.

Thanks
Thorsten