[rhn-users] Text on printout is stair stepped with CUPS/LPD in RHEL AS4

d.qureshi at mdx.ac.uk d.qureshi at mdx.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 11:48:21 UTC 2006

I am running RHEL AS 4 on HP Proliant DL585 and have created a LPD print
queue through CUPS printing.
The print queue is setup to print to a network HP5500HDN Postscript printer which is hosted by
a Windows printer server.

When I created the print queue I selected Local RAW printer.
I am able to print Postscript files successfully but when I send a plain
text file to the HP5500HDN printer the output is stair stepped. See below:-

This is a line
              This is a line
                            This is a line

I am aware their is no carriage return at the end of each line in text file.
I have a shell script which puts carriage return but where do I put the shell script
to get it to work.
I tried to edit the /etc/printcap and put a filter but when I restart the
CUP daemon i.e. /sbin/service cups restart
the changes I made to add the filter in the printcap disappear.

Can anyone help me.
Thank you.

Dan..