[rhn-users] Text on printout is stair stepped with CUPS/LPD in RHEL AS4

Wayne Betts wbetts at bnl.gov
Thu Jun 8 15:10:34 UTC 2006

d.qureshi at mdx.ac.uk wrote:

>I am running RHEL AS 4 on HP Proliant DL585 and have created a LPD print
>queue through CUPS printing.
>The print queue is setup to print to a network HP5500HDN Postscript printer which is hosted by
>a Windows printer server.
>
>When I created the print queue I selected Local RAW printer.
>I am able to print Postscript files successfully but when I send a plain
>text file to the HP5500HDN printer the output is stair stepped. See below:-
>
>This is a line
>              This is a line
>                            This is a line
>
>I am aware their is no carriage return at the end of each line in text file.
>I have a shell script which puts carriage return but where do I put the shell script
>to get it to work.
>I tried to edit the /etc/printcap and put a filter but when I restart the
>CUP daemon i.e. /sbin/service cups restart
>the changes I made to add the filter in the printcap disappear.

I've used a2ps for individual jobs to correct this when printing text
files, but I don't know how to integrate it into the queue/spooler
automatically.
Also, some HP LaserJets have a feature to fix this in the control menus,
for instance:

*

   1.

       From the printer’s front control panel, press the *MENU* button
      until Printing Menu appears.

   2.

      Press the *ITEM* button until *APPEND CR TO LF* appears.

   3.

      Press the *SELECT* button for an asterisk to appear on the display.

   4.

      Press the *GO* button.

*
I've had that work on a couple of HP LJ 8xxx series printers.

Wayne