[rhn-users] Installing MySQL 4.1.20 on RHEL4, can't get it running

Clinton Fernandes clintonf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 18:18:39 UTC 2006

That seems a little hard to debug.

What does the output of /var/log/mysqld_error.log say (That's what my
error log is; yours may be in a different path with a different
filename).

Also, check your /etc/my.cnf file. It may provide some clues in
conjunction with the log file.

Try executing:

$ service mysqld start

that may (may) do some other processes in addition to calling mysqld_safe.

Good luck!

On 6/21/06, Jack Yu <huabin123 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have downlosed the RPM pakcages from RHN,
>
> mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1.i386.rpm
> mysql-server-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1.i386.rpm
> perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9004-3.1.i386.rpm
>
> and installed to my system.
>
> But I can't get it running when it type:
> >>/usr/bin/mysqld_safe
>
> I get thiserror
> :
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> /var/lib/mysql
> STOPPING server from pid file
> /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
> 060622 03:09:22  mysqld ended
>
> Does anyone know what's the problem?  I appreciate any
> inputs.
>
> thanks,
>
> Jack

Clint