[rhn-users] Root login with telnet

Joe Ogulin joe.ogulin at baesystems.com
Thu Jun 29 18:59:43 UTC 2006

Michael Chien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed that when trying to telnet into RHEL AS 4, and NOT using
> SSH, I am unable to log in as root directly, I have to log in as user
> and SU.
>
> But with SSH connection, I can login with root account straight away.
>
> Is there a way to change this security feature so direct root login can
> be done with regular telnet?

There probably is (I'm not going to bother researching it), but it
is a really bad idea to do that, as the telnet protocol sends clear
text passwords over the network... assuming you are not on a kerberized
system/subnet.

Realisitically, you should also edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config
and change the "PermitRootLogin" option.  Setting it to "without-password"
will allow you to log in if you have the appropriate /root/.ssh/authroized_keys
permissions.

Joe

--
Joe Ogulin
Sr. Secure Systems Software Engineer

Environmental statement:
This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.

Disclaimer:  This message is purely my fault.