[rhn-users] RHES4 deterministic system boot without system clock

Claussen, Stephan Stephan.Sc.Claussen at airbus.com
Wed May 31 16:12:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

Does anybody know if problems might occur during system startup of a
RHES4 server in case the RTC is not working properly or set to a non
deterministic time and date ?

Background: We are planning to remove the battery on the server H/W we
are using and are not sure if RHES4 can boot successfully in case the
system clock is not properly
set (without battery it probably means set to its default value e.g.
year 1900).
Once the system is started, we are retrieving and setting the system
clock from an external source so at that point there shouldn't be any
problem.
But what is during boot phase ?

Thanks for any help on this topic.
best regards