[rhn-users] adaptec SAS RAID hard drive not found

Steve Finley finley at privacynetworks.com
Thu Nov 9 17:02:15 UTC 2006

Jason,

Since my original post, I did turn the HW RAID off and attempted to use
the first
disk as a normal SAS drive.  I got the same result - "No drives
found..".  I now have
the OS installed on a SATA drive off of the SATA controller that's on
that mother
board with the HW RAID on.  Here's what /etc/modprobe.conf looks like:

alias eth0 e1000
alias eth1 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter adp94xx
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

Here's the output from lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
md5                     5696  1
ipv6                  282913  16
parport_pc             29185  0
lp                     15089  0
parport                43981  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                24009  0
sunrpc                175545  1
ds                     21449  0
yenta_socket           22977  0
pcmcia_core            69329  2 ds,yenta_socket
ipt_REJECT              8641  1
ipt_state               3265  4
ip_conntrack           53657  1 ipt_state
iptable_filter          4417  1
ip_tables              21569  3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
button                  9057  0
battery                11209  0
ac                      6729  0
uhci_hcd               34665  0
ehci_hcd               33605  0
e1000                 120761  0
floppy                 65809  0
dm_snapshot            19073  0
dm_zero                 3649  0
dm_mirror              32465  0
ext3                  137809  2
jbd                    69105  1 ext3
dm_mod                 68097  8 dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror
ata_piix               14405  2
libata                 78473  1 ata_piix
adp94xx               233201  0
sd_mod                 19393  3
scsi_mod              141457  3 libata,adp94xx,sd_mod

So the adp94xx driver is there, but I don't see any sdN devices other
than /dev/sda,
which is the SATA drive.  Here's /proc/scsi/scsi:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: Maxtor 6V200E0   Rev: VA11
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Running modprobe aacraid yields (thinking that I may need that driver?):

FATAL: Error inserting aacraid
(/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aacraid/aacraid.ko): No
such device

I'm going to tun the HW RAID off and see what I get.

Thanks

Steve Finley