[rhn-users] install without removable device

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Wed Oct 11 15:26:08 UTC 2006

Captain Else Projects wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a dedicated server and the OS is a RH7.
>
> I would like to install a RHEL4 but I can't put a CD or other
> removable device on the server and i have no virtual kvm. My only way
> is to boot on a rescue mode (init 2).
>
> Somebody could help me to start the installation ?
>
> Thank
>
> Florent
> Atout Libre

I assume that you you have console access (for the booting to rescue
mode) and that you can make the content of the ISO's available somewhere
close to this system via ftp, http or NFS, if so, then the following
should work.
Within the ftp/http/nfs location, extract and copy all data from the
ISO's into a single directory.
On disk 1, go into the /images/pxeboot/ directory. You will see vmlinuz
and initrd.img files, copy those to /boot/.
Edit your lilo.conf or grub.conf and add a new entry to be able to boot
of this kernel (keeping your old entries to boot from if needed).
Reboot and select the new kernel, this will start the installation
program, you will select network install, point it to the ftp/http/NFS
location for the files it needs and proceed.

Another way, for automation is with your ftp/http/nfs location, using
the above initrd.img and vmlinuz, you can also do kickstart, to automate
the process, if so, you can also create a ks.cfg file and add/append
that to grub/lilo with a ks=<path to find ks.cfg> ksdevice=eth0. Since
you would have to create a working ks.cfg file first, this is not as
easy as the first suggested method.

There is also the vnc method of installation of systems, where you pass
vnc options and then can make a remote connection to the vnc session to
complete the install.

Please note that I have not given all specific details, on assumption
that you have a good working knowledge of linux to complete this task
once pointed in the right direction for possible solutions.

Cliff.

--
Clifford Perry
Team Lead, RHN Sustaining Engineering