[rhn-users] How can we automount windows directory..

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Tue Oct 31 18:13:36 UTC 2006

The /etc/auto.whatever files specified in the auto.master file take
normal mount options as the second argument (comma-separated).  The
first argument is the "key" (think mount directory, under the "master"
mount directory specified in auto.master) and the last argument is the
path to the (presumably remote) filesystem.  Here's a cifs example (cifs
= smb, only newer; cifs is recommended, unless your kernel is so old
it's not supported):

windows1        -fstype=cifs,credentials=/etc/smbmount.hostname
://hostname/sharename

The only "tricy" part is that leading colon.  The "credentials" option
just gets passed to mount (and then to mount.cifs or mount.smb), it
allows you to put the password in a separate file that's readable only
by root.  If the line above was in "auto.windows" and the line below
appeared in auto.master:

/windows       /etc/auto.windows

then the example above would mount the share 'sharename' on host
'hostname' in the directory /windows/windows1, and read the login
credentials from the file /etc/smbmount.hostname.  TADA!

This is all documented in the autofs, mount, and mount.cifs man pages,
btw.  ;-)

Cheers.

-g