[rhn-users] Old updates stuck?

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Thu Sep 14 19:51:47 UTC 2006

Greetings!

I have had several of my systems logged in to RHN for years.  Over
time, I have noticed that a number of packages have never installed and
so are waiting.

Like since 2003, waiting.

My system update screen looks like this:

[Bug Fix Advisory]  	RHBA-2003:341  	New initscripts packages
available 	 12/19/03
[Bug Fix Advisory] 	RHBA-2003:248 	Updated IBM Java 2 packages fix
various issues 	1/6/04
[Bug Fix Advisory] 	RHBA-2004:081 	Updated initscripts packages fix
bug in bonding support 	4/21/04
[Bug Fix Advisory] 	RHBA-2004:011 	Updated IBMJava2 packages update
expired cacerts file. 	4/21/04
[Bug Fix Advisory] 	RHBA-2004:329 	Updated initscripts package
	8/18/04
[Bug Fix Advisory] 	RHBA-2004:619 	Updated initscripts package
	12/13/04

The reason the "New initscripts" package won't install is there is a
newer version already installed.  I thought RHN was supposed to figure
this out and delete the obsolete packages.

The only way I have figured out to get rid of the clutter is to delete
the system from RHN and re-register it again.

Anyone else seen this?

Anyone know of an easier fix?  Mine works but it's a bit like killing a
fly with a sledgehammer.

Thanx!

-Michael

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any associated
file(s) may contain privileged, confidential or proprietary
information or be protected from disclosure under law ("Confidential
Information").  Any use or disclosure of this Confidential Information,
or taking any action in reliance thereon, by any individual/entity
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.  This
Confidential Information is intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you
have received this Confidential Information in error and have an
obligation to promptly inform the sender and permanently destroy,
in its entirety, this Confidential Information (and all copies
thereof).  E-mail is handled in the strictest of confidence by
Allied National, however, unless sent encrypted, it is not a secure
communication method and may have been intercepted, edited or
altered during transmission and therefore is not guaranteed.