[rhn-users] Old updates stuck?

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 20:04:22 UTC 2006

Hi Michael,

Michael Weber wrote:
> I have had several of my systems logged in to RHN for years.  Over
> time, I have noticed that a number of packages have never installed and
> so are waiting.
>
> Like since 2003, waiting.

By 'waiting' do you mean they're pending (e.g., in the system details >
events > pending screen) or just listed as being applicable updates to
the system (e.g., system details > software > errata) ?

[snip]

> The reason the "New initscripts" package won't install is there is a
> newer version already installed.  I thought RHN was supposed to figure
> this out and delete the obsolete packages.

[snip]

> Anyone know of an easier fix?  Mine works but it's a bit like killing a
> fly with a sledgehammer.

Have you tried updating the package profile for the systems in question?
You can do this by running 'up2date -p'.

~m