[rhn-users] Auto Errata Update Broken

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 14:31:03 UTC 2006

This feature of RHN seems to have broke around the time RHN 4.1.0 was
released. We opened a support ticket regarding our systems not getting
these updates scheduled or delivered in a timely fashion in early
August.

Pretty much each week it is suggested to us that it either has been
fixed or that it will be fixed on the following Tuesday during
maintenance. Each week we see that it hasn't been fixed and ask for an
update about the resolution of the problem. Then we repeat this
support dance for another week, and another week, and so it has gone.

We are getting the feeling that this isn't considered a very serious
problem by Red Hat. We consider it serious as we have many users who
set this flag on RHN when they install their systems and then *rely*
on Red Hat to deliver the security updates to them automatically.

In the future we may give new users instructions on how they can
reduce their need to rely on RHN for this service by running update
periodically from cron. I think it is a little sad that such a measure
is necessary and it really doesn't help those already missing updates
without knowing it.

I hope someone at Red Hat will bump the urgency of fixing this bug as
getting automatic security fixes from RHN really is one of the reasons
our people chose to use RHN in the first place.

John