[rhn-users] Upgrading AS 3 satellite from 3.6.6 to 4.2.0

Brendan Mullen bmullen at uga.edu
Fri Mar 16 20:29:12 UTC 2007

Hello,

I've run into some trouble upgrading our satellite.

The server is AS3.
The satellite is 3.6.6

I've completed the prereqs in the README  at
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/satellite-upgrade/README

Upgrading an AS 3 satellite at version 3.6.6  to
version 4.2 is the scenario 1b at:

/etc/sysconfig/rhn/satellite-upgrade/rhn-satellite-4-upgrade-scenario-1b.txt

in step 2 of that doc, after starting the database (embedded in our
case)  I run an install perl script.

./install.pl --skip-db-install --skip-db-population --skip-ssl-cert-gen

This script stops with the following error:

rpm failed with exit code of '27'. at ./install.pl line 110.

The database log and satellite_install_log look OK,  but
/var/log/rhn/rhn-installation.log says that the script is trying to
install an older version of a perl module that already has a newer
version installed:

RHN Satellite installation log.
Command: ./install.pl --skip-db-install --skip-db-population
--skip-ssl-cert-gen

         package perl-DateTime-TimeZone-0.59-2.rhel3 (which is newer
than perl-DateTime-TimeZone-0.32-3.rhel3) is already installed

Has anybody run into this before?  I looked at removing the newer
module, but it had some dependencies and I wasn't comfortable with this
approach.

Best,
Brendan

Brendan Mullen