[rhn-users] What's the relationship between yum and rhnplugin?

Bo Xie xiebopublic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 07:21:25 UTC 2007

I know RHEL 5 uses yum+rhnplugin to access RHEL 5 RHN (satellite) server.

My question are:
(1) Can I use yum+rhnplugin to access RHEL 3/4 RHN? Is there any
difference between "RHEL 3/4 RHN (satellite) server" and "RHEL 5 RHN
(satellite) server"?
(2) I assume 'RHEL 5 RHN (satellite) server' is still a 'RHN
(satellite) server', not a normal
'yum repository' created by 'yum-arch' or 'createrepo'. I mean Red Hat
only changes the update *client* from up2date to yum, but does not
change the repository from 'RHN (satellite) server' to 'yum repository'.Am I
right?

Best Regards,
Xie, Bo