[rhn-users] Preventing RHEL5 kernel removals on yum updates

Rajan Mithani rajan.mithani at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:16:35 UTC 2007

On 5/17/07, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/17/07, Caetano, Greg <Greg.Caetano at hp.com> wrote:
> > John:
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer but I don't think I understand it. From the log
> > I've included
> > Kernel  2.6.18-8.1.4.el5 was being installed and 2.6.18-8.1.3.el5 was
> > being removed.
>
> I'm going to guess that after you installed the 1.3 kernel you did not
> reboot prior to installing the 1.4 kernel. yum will not ever delete
> the running kernel. So with the setting of two you should see the new
> kernel you installed and the running kernel, whatever that may be.
>
> John

well hi.. friends,
wat i know if u r installing the kernel.. rpm -ivh <kernel name> then it
will add that kernel to the /boot
partition and if it is not appering in the grub. then you can manually edit
the /etc/grub.conf file..
give the location of the kernel.. kernel /boot/vmlinuz <new kernel>
along wit the initrd enty of /inird<kernel>.img
and dont forget to give the LABEL name..

hope this will solve out the kernel disappearing problem...

Regards

Rajan D Mithani
Redhat Certified Engineer
IBM INDIA.